Reply to post: Re: @ratfox

EU turns screws on Android – report

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: @ratfox

All this activity is going to do is end with some android phones being locked to other search, maps etc. providers rather than google, with those companies paying the manufacturer for the privilege. I don't really see that this is going to be hugely beneficial for the consumer. Of course the manufacturers could do this now, but only if they forgo the google services - and as the Amazon phone proved, the results aren't likely to sell very well.

The manufacturers want to keep the google apps, but customise the rest - i.e. sell default search provider to the highest bidder and keep the money for themselves. But then what's in it for google? Their software clearly has value - the lack of alternative AOSP based phone vendors in Europe attests to that.

If google put a cost on the price of the g-apps bundle without the marketing and customisation restrictions, they might be able to sidestep a lot of this process. e.g. $50 per handset and you can set it up however you like. I doubt the manufacturers would be happy with that price, because they probably think that they can use these proceedings to get the google stuff for free, but it would go some way to silencing the criticism that it's all or nothing if you want the g-apps software.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon