Reply to post: Re: I don't get it...

Despite IANA storm, ICANN shows just why it shouldn't be allowed to take over internet's critical functions

WatAWorld

Re: I don't get it...

It has. It really doesn't matter what techies think of ICANN. What matters is what politicians and the mainstream media think of ICANN.

And what politicians and the mainstream media think of the IANA handover to ICANN is based on argumentum ad hominem, ergo decedo.

Sadly politicians and media 'political analysts' think that multi-dimensional beliefs, like political beliefs, can be reduced to a scalar, the left-wing/right-wing scalar.

Keeping IANA controlled by the USA is a 'right-wing extremist' view.

Letting ICANN run IANA is a mainstream view (i.e. left-wing extremist view).

If your cause is labeled right-wing you might as well give up and go live in the wilderness, because the entire right-wing has been outed as totally being a bunch of trolls on every issue there is (by the left-wing trolls, people who own the only credibility these days).

Most techies have enough math to know that reducing a multi-dimensional value to a scalar for comparison is invalid. We remember being told in grade 9 (or your national equivalent) that such a procedure is mathematically and logically invalid. But politicians, political analysts and political journalists have forgotten whatever intermediate math they sat through in school.)

Delaying the handover of IANA to ICANN is not an issue on the left-wing/right-wing axis.

Preventing handover would not be on the imperialist/freedom axis either, because the current options are one imperial power (the USA) or another (ICANN bureaucracy). Sticking with the USA is not liberty.

But the proposal is DELAYING the handover until there is a nationally independent democratic organization to take control, a replacement to ICANN or an totally re-done ICANN. So delaying the handover for another year, even two years, is on the imperialist/freedom axis.

I think that is why the right-wing adopted it and the left-wing rejected it, they were going by the world "freedom". "Anything freedom" this year is right-wing and the left-wing says only trolls will support it.

Sadly the cause of delaying the handover has been taken on by the right-wing, and just because of who is handling the cause it will be rejected -- argumentum ad hominem, ergo decedo.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021