Reply to post: Re: The odd thing is

HP Inc's rinky-dink ink stink: Unofficial cartridges, official refills spurned by printer DRM

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The odd thing is

that my ancient Brother laser printer keeps on chugging away, printing its few dozen sheets a month on a generic replacement toner unit (the first lasted about five years) - and running an HP driver.

Maybe you got lucky there. I bought a Brother A3 inkjet for an office in London, and that was returned the next day with a "no, thank you, I need something that works". It took absolutely ages to get a first page out, and when it started printing I could have hired a monk to write the page in calligraphy and it would have been faster (and probably cheaper, given the ink costs). I discovered afterwards that I dodged a bullet: the HARDWARE wasn't the worst of it.

Whoever writes their drivers and software must have a history or hobby as a virus writer as it took a LOT of effort to get rid of their software afterwards, it kept popping up and it had spread everywhere (as in "not residing in the usual, official places in the OS"). If we had that rolled out over all machines we would have had a major problem. Honestly, in the many years that I've worked with computers I have yet to see worse code, and I include Windows ME in that list. I will quite simply *never* again even consider having Brother software on machines I manage. *shudder*

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon