Reply to post: Re: And who told you I want to be measured?

IPv4 apocalypse means we just can't measure the internet any more

Peter2 Silver badge

Re: And who told you I want to be measured?

"Oh good grief. v6 "high priest" here"

Ok, i'll say it.

GET THE PITCHFORKS AND BURN THE HERETIC.

Just kidding.

Honest.

Sort of.

Look, all everybody wanted was a larger address space. Can we planitively ask why you have just added an extra two fields to IPv4 (ie 192.168.0.1 becomes 0.0.192.168.0.1, taking the address space from (254*254*254*254) ~four point one billion addresses to (254*254*254*254*254*254) ~two hundred sixty-eight trillion, five hundred thirty-five billion addresses? That's the better part of fifty thousand addresses per person, which ought to be enough for any reasonable use case excepting individually assigning addresses to nanobots.

Everybody would have been perfectly happy. IPv4 devices could be patched to the new version (IPv4.1?) relatively easily and IPv4 skills and tools would be easily and directly transferrable. Older devices could have been accomodated simply at the network layer by discarding the extra two address blocks. You could still actually memorise network addresses and layouts and talk to people about them. You can say (and remember) 10.0.1.20, you can't say (or reasonably be expected to remember) 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf. It's utterly meaningless gobbledygook that you can't even be expected to scribble on a sheet of paper and type in to something by hand without the addition of transcription errors. This is not exactly an abnormal use case in the real world.

As a result we have a situation where *NOBODY* wants IPv6. Pretty much everybody hopes it will go away and die a death, from network architects to network admins and even including the equipment manufacturers who by rights should be the most enthusiastic about it, since they at least stand to make some money out of it.

I judge the equipment manufacturers enthusiasm by the lack of cheap firewalls suitable for home users for under 50% of a users monthly takehome pay a decade on. I'd like to see you justify to a home user who cares for IPv6 even less than an IT professional why they should pay that much to... well, gain absolutely nothing. But it's new and "better". But you won't notice any difference, other than the fact that none of the local "fix your PC" services will touch it with a bargepole.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon