Reply to post: Re: TUE secrets?

Sports doping agency WADA says hackers lifted Olympic athletes' medical records

Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: TUE secrets?

For (simple) instance, I take steroids. Doping right? When I say that these are in an inhaler to prevent asthma, is it still cheating

Let's come back to this one.

Steroids - probably no. Other asthma medication like formoterol and other beta-agonists is known to increase metabolic rates.

It CAN be used for doping (no different from let's say the doping use of ephedrine). The only way to track if it has been used for its due purpose or as a doping is to have series of pre- and in-competition tests tracking the quantity. WADA has not even considered this while granting exemptions for dual-use beta-agonists by endurance sportsmen.

By the way, this does not mean that any one of them has used it in this capacity, however they could easily do it. Not any different from the meldonium use by Eastern European athletes. Supposedly for heart conditions. Something for which they _CANNOT_ register TUEs by the way because it does not have FDA approvals so the doctors WADA uses for reviewing the exemptions say no straight away.

By the way - I will keep my opinion about an asthmatic vs a person with a heart condition in a Wimbledon final to my self.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon