Reply to post: Re: Great product idea?

Printers now the least-secure things on the internet

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Great product idea?

It's not "my idea". I was trying to say that many of the routers that people already have are capable of blocking this sort of thing. Not every router is a surveillance station for the Chinese secret service. I gave the example of Draytek as selling routers that have good reputations, but I admit they are more expensive than some. I also mentioned a much cheaper router that I have used that also has many of the same facilities.

What neither of these options has is the ability, automatically (i.e. with no or with minimal user intervention), to identify what should and what shouldn't be allowed access. How could you do it? Look up who owns the range of MAC addresses and allow Asus or Gigabyte through, but not Beko or Bosch? How do you deal with a company such as LG that makes both devices you probably would like to access the internet - mobile phones and smart TVs - and devices you wouldn't - washing machines?

And the other key thing that is missing is some kind of accreditation for routers where an independent company audits the devices for the ability to do what they should do, and nothing more. Best of luck getting that off the ground :-)

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon