Reply to post: Re: @ dan1980

Brexit must not break the cloud, Japan tells UK and EU

Commswonk

Re: @ dan1980

@dan1980: First, when you say "the EU" - which specific people do you mean?

An entirely fair question, and I suppose I was aware of the ambiguity when I wrote what I did. So here goes... Primarily I meant the EU Commission, and its President. I am of the view that the post is prone to succumbing to folie de grandeur, and previous occupants (not necessarily all) have all suffered from it as well. The EU Parliament? No; I don't think it has the clout it ought to have; it is largely supine and can, IIRC, be more or less ignored by the Commission. The EU "peoples"? No, not them either. The various Heads of State? Well partially to blame at least.

Although it may be a function of how things are reported by the media I get the distinct feeling that Frau Merkel believes she has an overarching veto all all things EU and that certainly doesn't help either. Her throwing the EU open to refugees and economic migrants without any prior discussion with other Heads of State (all supposedly her equals) would support this view. With a UK referendum then on the horizon it was (IMHO) a strategic blunder of epic proportions. (That should trigger a downvote or two!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon