Reply to post: Re: Next, traffic wardens...

We want GCHQ-style spy powers to hack cybercrims, say police

Danny 2

Re: Next, traffic wardens...

CCTV supposedly used to cut violent crime is already used to police parking violations. Councils and DWP little hitlers already do this too to cu down on dog poo, school admissions, rubbish bin abuses.

I was recently charged (wrongly) with a Breach of the Peace, over twenty months and with three days in jail, about fifteen court appearances, and several police raids/visits to my parents house. I realised fairly early on the police were going to their address soon after I'd arrived out of convenience, and must have been tracking my phone to save themselves a fifteen mile drive to my home. Later one of the officers interrogating me confirmed that inadvertently.

My case is utterly petty and minor but Police Scotland have also been doing the same stuff to journalists and other police officers. I got to talk candidly to a senior police officer about this sort of quasi-legal behaviour once and he was perfectly frank and unembarrassed, "What we can do, we will do". Meaning they will do anything they think they personally will not be prosecuted for.

And that is fair enough if they'd focus on serious criminals and terrorists, but they don't and they don't intend to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon