Reply to post: Adult, as in rational and evidence-based?

FBI Director wants 'adult conversation' about backdooring encryption

Milton

Adult, as in rational and evidence-based?

Comey seems determined to make a fool himself. It is not possible to have an adult conversation with someone who refuses to understand the topic at hand, rejects evidence and thinks irrationally.

Ok, Comey doesn't have to understand the math of crypto—though it isn't that difficult to understand the principles, and we might have dared to hope the Director the FBI would be intelligent enough to pick it up in half an hour, assuming a college education.

No doubt he employs some people who do understand it, but appears, like many politicians and political appointees, to be ignoring the knowledgeable and intelligent folks and hearing instead the idiots and those with an agenda. It's a dire weakness of a certain kind of person that they only hear what they want to. Perhaps Comey would have been one of those idiots who tried to legislate π as 3.0?

I don't really know why else politicians, and other jackasses like Comey, don't sit down with a crypto guy and say "Make me understand why all the smart people say it is literally impossible to do what I want". Because then we could stop wasting everyone's time on a pointless debate. Crypto is never going away.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon