Reply to post: Re: Trying to make themselves younger?

Both HPs allegedly axed people just for being old, California court told

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Trying to make themselves younger?

Current company lost me, sysadmin with over 14 years' of experience. And underpaid too. I'm well over 45 at this stage in my life, got a lot of experience, some good, some bad, but I make full use of my experience.

When the resignation letter hit the circuit, a counteroffer was extended - twice - but I declined.

If they really appreciated me, they would've got a PFY, bumped my salary up, and have me mentor the PFY.

Now they have to get some rookie in as they most probably will not be willing to pay for an experienced person. Will have to wait and see what happens here, but I get the feeling they will pay a lot of $$$ more.

Change is good. Forgive and forget, and move on. Doesn't help to be vindictive and try a sneaky BOFH, it'll come back to haunt you when least you want it.

The new job? It is not sysadmin work (TBH I'm getting tired of the same old, same old and needed a change of scenery) but software support. Should be good and interesting, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Had a look at freelancing, will be buidling this up as an extra career in the years ahead as I'll be paid better and can therefore purchase my own tools and other neccessities to support my own private business.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon