Reply to post: Re: Just very impressive.

Stop lights, sunsets, junctions are tough work for Google's robo-cars

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Just very impressive.

"What impresses me most is that these "problem" situations are ones that I have experienced and sometimes failed."

I've just been driving around South London on a sunny day and I can assure you that I have seen quite a lot of people fail to deal with stoplights, get confused at junctions, and obviously have sun in eyes problems.

A robot vehicle doesn't have to be much better than the average person to be safer.

Earlier this week I was less than 50m from a major tyre blowout on an Artic. I had to take evasive action from the moron with the trailer 2 feet wider than he was who decided just to cross the lane, while avoiding the overtaking BMW to my right. I just missed both, but I suspect a robotic car with its reliable, faster reactions would have done a better job. And it wouldn't have had an attack of the shivers fifteen minutes later when the adrenaline wore off and I realised how close we had come to a multi-car pileup.

I guess a robotic artic would have been monitoring all its tyre pressures too, and have taken itself off the road at the previous service station.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon