Reply to post:

Vale, LOGO creator Seymour Papert, who taught us that code can be creative play

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

An acquaintance's 11 year old son was recently enthusing about using the internet and was interested in electronics. After making sure his parents were not technophobes - I offered to give him an Arduino development kit from my large stock of parts. No tuition was being offered - basically he could learn by experiment and the internet. His father turned very frosty and declined in a way that suggested they now regarded me as some sort of predator.

With all the paranoia these days it is hard to see a return to the 1960s when young teenage boys went to Amateur Radio Clubs on their own. They were then educated by both amateur and professional electronics people - usually men. That's where I learned about electronics after my first dabblings at home - and passed on my knowledge to my peers as a founding member of a radio club at school.

The neighbours' kids are wowed by my Halloween SFX - but none of them seem interested in how it is done. Being Lego fanatics doesn't necessarily seem to be a step towards electronics and programming hobbies - even when they have an introduction to the subjects at school.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021