Reply to post: Re: Leaving Microsoft MS Orifice

Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze

MJI Silver badge

Re: Leaving Microsoft MS Orifice

I (sort of use) MS Office at work, no idea what version as there is no help about (but dated 2015), it has a square ribbon style menu and I hardly use it (rarely write documents), the email client (Outlook) is pretty shonky and the diary loses appointments including the most important ones of the lot.

MY HOLIDAY

To be honest it is a pretty horrible to use of software, new email doesn't, it just sets focus, it will not let me type stuff in and use basic formatting.

But worst of all to me are the icons on the task bar, they are all too similar and outlook looks very much like Teamviewer to me (blue with white circle). So I clck omn looking for an email and find a PC I was connected to.

I have the last File Edit office at home (only use Word) and that is good enough for me, but I have used Libre office and would recommend it.

Anyway on my start menu it says Office 2013 and is full of things I never use, Access* (my cards are all Mastercard or Visa). Excel (the CSV Viewer), Infopath*, OneDrive*, OneNote*, Powerpoint (I prefer PL10s), Publisher*, Skype, Word.

* No idea what they are.

But do we need these tools?

I wonder>

I can knock up basic HTML which I use for any internal documentation, I still do not know what a spreadsheet can that a small self written program cannot do.

And we all hate Outlook in the office.

However I am in the sad situation that the languages I know best are running on MS environments, I have managed to get my IDE up and running in WINE but a few DLLS still preclude the executable.

The question is can I make Win 7 last until retirement?

Oh and we are investigating moving to another email and calendar system. we may even just give up and write our own calendar, it cannot be that difficult.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon