Reply to post: Is tv worth it anymore?

BBC detector vans are back to spy on your home Wi-Fi – if you can believe it

Shadow Systems

Is tv worth it anymore?

Many years ago I decided to try an experiment.

I decided that I would stop using my tv for television watching, but other uses (DVD movies, as the display for my PlayStation 2, etc) would be permissible.

I finished watching the show that was on (an episode of Star Trek) & kept it off (no tv uses) for a full year.

I turned it on exactly one year later & to my disgust I realized that it was the Exact Same Channel that I had been on when I started the experiment and The Exact Same Episode of Star Trek.

I decided at that point that tv was essentially useless for watching television broadcasts & haven't looked back.

Has the quality of tv shows gotten any better in, say, the last decade?

Is it worth even owning one for anything other than as the display for your game console?

Does one do anything other than act as a dust magnet you have to clean regularly so it doesn't start breeding Dust Bunnies?

Serious questions:

I'm a Yank & thus have no real idea of the quality of British tv specificly, but is it worth owning a tv for at all?

What kinds of shows are out there that are worth watching, ones that you can't get via an online source rather than an OTA antenna, cable subscription, satelite dish, or buying DVD's from the local Tesco from their offerings of "current episodes" bin?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon