Reply to post: Re: AC Re: Hmm

Londoner jailed after refusing to unlock his mobile phones

Matt Bryant Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: AC Re: Hmm

"..... it's still perfectly legal to own a revolver, so long as it's black powder....." Firstly, only muzzle-loaders are classed as "blackpowder" firearms in the UK, so the revolver would probably get confiscated and you in trouble. Blackpowder revolvers are often easily converted to cartridge-firing. Even if you managed to convince the coppers you wanted it for something like historic recreations, you would need a second license on top of your firearms license for the blackpowder as it's classed as an explosive. About your only recourse would be to register it as a stage prop, but then your options for actually shooting it are zilch.

".....I don't think there is an upper limit to the size of firearms either, I think it's perfectly acceptable to have some monster 20mm anti-materiel rifle so long as it's bolt action and it's shooting bog standard fmj....." Unlikely. As part of your firearms certificate you have to sit down with the local constabulary and justify your weapons, providing details on where and when you plan to use them, and - seeing as there are very few ranges I can think of in the whole UK where you could shoot a 20mm rifle - I suspect your application would be rejected. I know a range in Scotland where you can fire the Barrett .50 rifles and they told me they had to go through years of paperwork and niceties before they got permission.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon