Reply to post: Re: An On-Purpose

Kaspersky so very sorry after suggesting its antivirus will get you laid

dan1980

Re: An On-Purpose

@Mark Eccleston

Without wanting a debate on semantics, something that happens as a result of an "error in judgement" is very much a mistake.

Yes, someone created this ad and others approved it - the ad was deliberate - but the outcome (people being offended) was not. But then, in your example of a 'real' mistake, carrying three cups at a time was also a deliberate action which resulted in an undesired outcome.

I can conceive of no useful meaning of the word 'mistake' that covers the the one but not the other.

In both instances, through insufficient knowledge, forethought, understanding, skill or judgement an action was undertaken that resulted in outcomes other than those desired.

While I quite enjoyed your post and the illustrations, when you say: "The ad was deliberate, not a mistake", I can't feeling that the word you're looking for is "accident".

Which is not to say that calling something is a "mistake" is the same as taking real responsibility but neither does failing to take ownership or apologise adequately mean that what happened wasn't a "mistake".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon