Reply to post: And then spinning rust

QLC flash is tricky stuff to make and use, so here's a primer

DCFusor

And then spinning rust

Too much specsmanship and too many MBAs falling for it. I use both flash (various level counts) and rust here. I predict that after not too long, when a lot of flash starts failing all too often (with the usual lousy, missing, or inoperable backups) the reliability of not-ridiculously-high density spinning rust will become attractive again. You might guess I'm not so fond of some of the later tricks spinning rust has employed to try to keep pace. Hey guys, don't forget your real selling point is far better reliability and not too ridiculously slow speed.

Speed/dollar is one thing, but most of the monkeys don't figure in speed-to-failure either, don't even know what their read/write situation is (much less amplification) along with the ooh-shiney usual issue.

Heck, there's even *read* disturbance in this stuff. Shame on me for being an EE for most of 5 decades and understanding that sort of thing. And oh, what they are calling tunneling is not that - give me a break, in the real world we call that arcing. Tunneling doesn't do damage..

Pretty decent video on how bad it was even at single layer lives here (Bunnie Huang) http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon