Reply to post: Re: Effective?

Anti-theft kill switches in smartphones just got a little less creepy

leexgx

Re: Effective?

no it means the phone should be permanently blocked anywhere in the world as its the device itself that is blocked not just network block where most would sell it abroad

like a IOS or OSX device can be with Find my {device} enabled or like samsung devices with the Reactivation lock enabled (it's a brick until you enter the correct email and password, even a full firmware reload does not remove the Reactivation lock/find my iphone lock Flag in the phone as when it talks to the servers to unlock it you need email/password)

why i find bit silly nowadays to steal a apple product as very high chance that find my iphone is enabled (even ipads and apple desktops and laptops use it as well, as to why it's extremely important you secure your apple account, or you end up like gawker with all devices locked or encrypted)

if google would make Android Device Danager more an requirement for device lock (as at the moment all it can do is ring, lock and erase but no Lost/stolen marker on the device so they can still sell it to another country after factory reset) if google would put a lost/stolen marker like apple do and limited degree samsung soon as the device gets past the mobile data/wifi setup stage the device would lock it self like samsung and apple do if the phone lock marker is set (or at least make it so google Play/services will never work on the device and constantly pop up with this is a lost/stolen device, if they can't use google play the phone will be a nuisance to use)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon