Reply to post: Consultancy...

IT boss 'set up fake companies to charge his employers $2.4m'

keithpeter Silver badge
Windows

Consultancy...

I can understand the hardware aspect - your accounts show purchase of certain equipment which never gets added to the capital items register as it does not actually exist. Sooner or later someone will notice. I accept that small items might slip under the radar there.

Consultancy: sounds like the accused was able to authorise payment for consultants and act as the reporting manager for those consultants. I can see that activity by consultants could be faked. Actually I'm wondering why the accused didn't simply hire an out of work character actor to wear a suit and turn up with a nice Moleskine notebook and sit in meetings and make notes and sign a time sheet. Knock up a bit of a report at home that simply agrees with actions he decided to take anyway and then there you are - consultancy services supplied.

Disclaimer: I work in public sector. Ordering a packet of tracing paper or a box of pens is so heavily audited that I don't bother and just go down the £1 shop. In most places isn't there a need to have purchase orders countersigned by a more senior manager?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022