Reply to post: Re: I cannot understand the merits of this case

GMB tests Uber 'self-employed drivers' claim at London tribunal

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I cannot understand the merits of this case

The do claim to do some checking to ensure that the driver has the necessary paperwork and licences.

However as for your specific example "What happens in the event of an accident involving a driver without a driver's licence?". The driver gets done and possibly sent to prison, as they should do for driving illegally. You could still sue Uber if the checking they claimed they carried out wasn't done.

Should "Rated People" which allows you to post some plumbing work that needs doing and a plumber can reply and take the job be liable for paying minimum wages and giving that plumber holidays regardless of other work they do or how many jobs they take on? Doe sit change if there is a set fee for that work provided by rated people?

Should AirBnB be required to ensure all it's home owners get minimum wages and holidays etc?

I don't agree with any company being able to circumvent employment law to get cheaper wages out of people, but I don't think trying to force these people to be employees in this situation is the answer.

To me they seem like independant workers/contractors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon