Reply to post: Re: Just a question: C++ loved by the pros, hated by the fakers.

Next month's Firefox 48 is looking Rusty – and that's a very good thing

hellwig

Re: Just a question: C++ loved by the pros, hated by the fakers.

@Bronek Kozicki

Yes, I meant C++98, I work with Ada too much (Ada 83, Ada 95, Ada 2005, Ada 2012, yay!). I was simply referring to the fact that Borland Turbo C++ (3.X and certain 4.X varieties) was absent the C++98 STLs. Rather than (as a high schooler learning to program) rely on "magical" (hidden) implementations of Lists, Sorts, etc..., we implemented our own directly in C++. As the whole point was to learn, not be overly efficient.

People are lacking that understanding, because modern languages and infrastructures are abstracting safety and security away from the developers. Therefore, when those same people revert to a more capable but less secure/safe language, you get C/C++ modules for FireFox written by people who don't have a proper respect for safe programming methods.

I'll restate this: It seems silly to me that the answer to "we're getting a lot of crappy code" is to have someone smarter make a smarter/safer language, instead of training people how to do it the right way in the first place.

Think of it this way: You have an assembly line assembling cars. One of the folks on your line forgets to tighten the lugnuts on one of the wheels every time. Do you a) train this person better, b) replace them with someone more competent, or c) design the car to drive on 3 wheels because "let's face it, wheels are gonna fall off".

Computer Programming is going the route of C) above, and that, to me, is lowering the standard.

And my "no pun intended" literally meant I was not trying to imply C++ was a truly functional language. I meant it functioned fine as a language.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon