Reply to post: Yeah...

Looking good, Gnome: Digesting the Delhi in our belly

Jonathan 27

Yeah...

I actually prefer Gnome 3 to any other Linux desktop environment. Yes, a few years ago it was buggy as hell and weirdly slow for no reason, but they've corrected that now.

My primary reason for liking Gnome 3 is that the interface gets out of your way. All you have to constantly visible widgets is the bar at the top of the screen. I don't want a huge grab-bag of UI elements plastered across the screen all the time (XCFE is good for this as well). Everything looks good and it's easy to customize. Support for High-DPI screens is pretty good too as is touchscreen support, both of which matter to me because I primarily use it on a 15" 4K laptop with a touchscreen.

I'm currently using Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 and it's working for me. I don't like the unmovable shortcut menu, unified menus (yes I know this is optional now) and overall feeling of self-righteous smugness about the design. It's about at Apple level of telling me what I want. Integration with 3rd party apps can be poor as well, with menus in the wrong place and small graphical annoyances.

I'm not saying you should use Gnome 3, just that I like it. If you don't I recommend XFCE or Cinnamon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon