Reply to post: Re: The sad thing is that Windows 10 is great...

Windows 10 a failure by Microsoft's own metric – it won't hit one billion devices by mid-2018

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The sad thing is that Windows 10 is great...

The sad thing is that Windows 10 is great and adoption would have been far higher if MS had been polite and respectful in its upgrade offer.

Oh yes, it is truly wonderful. I especially like the consistency and clarity of the UI (after all, who wants to have dialogues following the same visual design as the panels they are created from? This is so 1990s! Who ever wants the back button to take them to the configuration screen they came from, rather than an exciting new set of option which let you explore a completely different corner of this wonderful WX universe? Who would ever want to have a computer without a touchscreen? Greasy fingerprints on the display are the clear sign of class!), the user-friendliness (these login-screen ads really make coming to the office in the morning a joy! and I love having those enforced patch installation-reboot cycles just as my train leaves without me in the evening: after all the late-night milk run is soo much more comfly!), and the meticulous attention it gives to my privacy.

A once-a-month explicit easy to opt-out-of offer of the free upgrade,each month, and nothing more.

Yes! Yes! But please, please, please make it full-screen, and give it a generous time before it can be closed! Two or three hours is ought to do it!

Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8 and 8.1, and is much faster than Windows 7 on multi-core machines.

Well, realistically a lobotomy is much better than W8.*, and for most people and use cases W7 is already plenty fast enough. The only exception for an end user is rebooting - and at least for me, the most common reason for rebooting is because the yet another patch cannot be installed without it. At which point all the time is spent applying the patch - and the extra 30 seconds saved/spent in loading the OS is immaterial.

Just face it: desktop OS has been a mature technology for a long time (in fact since well before Microsoft came up with their first usable version of Windows); there is no sound technical reason to keep tinkering with it. Desktop OSes exist to provide productivity (or perhaps the loss-of-productivity, if we are talking about SAP products) applications with a stable and consistent environment in which to perform their function. Desktop OSes should be neither sexy nor exciting; in fact, like all good infrastructure they should be mostly invisible.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon