Reply to post: Re: I wait with interest...

UK gov says new Home Sec will have powers to ban end-to-end encryption

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I wait with interest...

"if the government think and try to block unauthorised types of encryption, then the only people who will be affected will be the dumb and lazy and technically ignorant people, who are likely to be the least interesting."

You forget that RIPA was the obvious and necessary response to 9/11 and all the other subsequent terrorist incidents it prevented, such as 7/7. Just like Snoopers' Charter #1 (struck down in Court by David Davis, you couldn't make it up), and now this, will be motivated after the fact by other perfect government prescience. But clearly you're one of those nay-sayers who think none of this was ever about terrorism.

(/irony)

Anyway, CSPs aren't close to the most dangerous parts of the IPB as drafted, because arguably its effects might include *promoting* terrorism. I hope I'm wrong on that, but that's the occupational hazard for hackers and governments alike when they develop rootkits, even "legislative" ones - anyone can exploit them. Including other governments and other players with access to our communications infrastructure.

[oh, and read the brilliantly innocuous Civil Contingencies Act 2004. It's quite short. A little bit like an old-fashioned symmetric key to decipher not only all other Home Office legislation, but also the occasional unnerving event such as one of the government's responses to the GFC]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon