Reply to post:

Tupperware vehemently denies any link to storage containerisation

israel_hands

How are they defending their trademark? In what way was it under attack.?

Names exist purely so we have a way of identifying something. They can't threaten to sue every time their name is used, it doesn't work like that. They can sue if somebody is selling their own gear under the tupperware name, which is the entire purpose of trademark laws. They don't exist to allow a company to clamp down on every usage of a word, particularly when it doesn't threaten their business in any way.

If the article was slagging off tupperware then they may have a chance, but fair use, satire, etc, all come into play there and it's not a given they'd win unless somebody was clearly and deliberately trying to damage their business.

Within the context of the article the name was being used as a synonym for storage systems. And if they seriously have a problem with people linking their brand with storage systems (either physical or digital) then they're probably in the wrong fucking business. This just seems like an over-eager legal team with no corporate oversight checking if what they're doing is ridiculous.

I'd like to downvote the Reg for changing the original headline though. Hardly fits with the "Biting the hand..." motto, does it?

Maybe we should intervene here though, and defend our beloved rag against the naught plastic-box bully. I'm thinking of something like that guy did for Rick Santorum, getting his surname SEO'd to return results for the by-product of greasy anal sex instead of his political bullshit.

We just need to come up with something suitably fucking awful that tupperware could become a synonym for so we can start hitting up Urban Dictionary and littering it in the comments of thousands of articles across the net.

Fuck it, just checked and I've been beaten to it, many times over. Still, there's always room for more.

TUPPERWARE: That thing your arsehole does when you really need a massive shit but can't go and so it keeps popping open randomly and emitting foulness.

Maybe should be leaky tupperare though, as the seal has obviously gone. Still, if searching for tupperware meant google returned a "we've included the results for leaky tupperware" I'd consider that a win.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon