Reply to post: We're all second guessing...

Bomb-disposal robot violently disposes of Dallas cop-killer gunman

Mark 85

We're all second guessing...

just like those do the morning after the game. We weren't there. Was the shooter in an enclosed area? Was he firing out of windows? How entrenched was he? The stores mention that negotiations broke down and the gunman resumed fire on the police. Just police or civilians?

If there's open windows, gas would not be an option. Possibly ingress and egress were limited and that limits a SWAT team rushing in? Sniper? The sniper has to be able to get a clear, clean shot.

This is still murky at best... While the Dallas Police have a pretty good reputation for being forthright in their dealings, the situation currently will taint anything said or done. I do hope for some "post-action" analysis as to the "why" it ended this way.

I do remember the Philadelphia Police bombing a sniper on a rooftop back in the 70's IIRC. Killed him/them and burnt the building down. Sometimes decisions are made on the tactical situation of the moment... sometimes they are good, other times they are bad.

I think any judgment in this is a bit premature as we don't have all the information.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon