Reply to post: Re: Says everything that there is to be said

Brexit-bored Brits back to bashing the bishop after ballot box blues

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Says everything that there is to be said

"Damn, that is a good deal for one day's work! Is there any requirement that the PM be a UK citizen? If not, I'd like to throw my name in the hat for consideration."

You need to move here, become entitled to vote and that's pretty much it. It might be surprising for someone not actually a citizen to become an MP and then PM. With the oath ceremony, it might not be possible to swear the oath with validity if not a citizen. Other than winning a seat as an MP and then winning a party leadership election, (I've already posted elsewhere how and why a non-MP, non party leader could become PM)

Unlike the USA, there a no rules on where you are born precluding someone becoming Prime Minister. The Duke of Wellington was PM and he was born in Ireland when it was a foreign country. Bonar Law was born in Canada (although I think it was still a colony then) Boris Johnson was born in New York although I doubt he'll ever be PM, even when he likely does bounce back after the EU exit.

Although TBH, the best way to increase the cances of becoming PM is to have rich, influential parents, go to Harrow or Eton schools followed by Oxford (or Cambridge at a push) university. Anything less than that reduces the chances to less than 35% of winning the job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon