Reply to post: Here's one for your stats

Here's how police arrested Lauri Love – and what happened next

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Here's one for your stats

I was arrested, held over night in a police cell, denied access to writing materials and a lawyer for thirty-six hours, most infuriatingly, I had an "appropriate adult" forced on me as some sort of chaperone. This came about after I was falsely accused of being a "nut, who had attempted to harm someone", this was complete nonsense, with not a scrap of evidence to support it, and was thrown out by the CPS.

I got not an apology not even the slightest acknowledgement that as an innocent sane person, it was wrong to put me in a glass fronted police station cell, based on some fantasy I would top myself.

Hilariously, they didn't take, my belt or my glasses, but did take my shoelaces, I pointed out that surely I could actually top myself with a belt, but not with shoelaces, they didn't take the belt but refused me a pencil and writing materials, one of my rights as an "arrested person", your other rights btw, are legal counsel, and someone to be informed of your whereabouts.

I was seriously unhappy, and disgusted that not a scrap of evidence was presented to me, that explained my time in a cell, nor was there any consequences for my accuser.

I suspect in hindsight that telling the arresting thug to keep his hands to his self or state his grounds for arrest, and read me my rights, probably didn't help.

The scary thing if you can do that to a person who knows their rights, counts lawyers among his friends, what can you do to some poor sod, who doesn't know their rights.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon