Reply to post: Re: Yes but ... this process will make autopilots safer

Man killed in gruesome Tesla autopilot crash was saved by his car's software weeks earlier

Public Citizen

Re: Yes but ... this process will make autopilots safer

One of the principle reasons for the abysmal statistics is the low standards for licensing.

Think about this for a minute:

80% of the injuries and fatalities are caused by 20% of the drivers.

We could more than halve the injury and fatality rates simply by denying the lowest 10% of those licensed the ~privilege~ of a motor vehicle operators license [until they can demonstrate a higher level of competency] and toughening the penalties [such as automatic jail time for a first offence] for those who drive [and cause accidents] without a license.

If this seems harsh, consider how much you personally pay every year for insurance, the bulk of the premium being used to pay out claims caused by the Bad Drivers.

The other area that will show an immediate reduction is by adequately dealing with the habitual drunks who get liquored up and then get behind the wheel of an automobile. I've been involved in two major accidents caused by drunk drivers, one of which left me with permanent debilitating injuries that have affected not just me but my family for nearly 10 years now. 70% of multi-vehicle accidents [in the US] have alcohol involvement.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon