Reply to post: Yes but ... this process will make autopilots safer

Man killed in gruesome Tesla autopilot crash was saved by his car's software weeks earlier

Schultz
Go

Yes but ... this process will make autopilots safer

The cause of the accident will be investigated and the sensors or software will be updated to ensure this type of accident will not occur again. Ultimately, this will make autopilots safer drivers than humans -- because humans are not very prone to learning from other people's mistakes.

We humans are vain and may not like to hear the truth, but on average we are lousy drivers. And I am not talking about that annoying lady that cut you off last week, I am talking about you when you [switched lane without looking | almost hit that bike | drove after that late night beer | ...].

I know you guys like to drive your cars, so bring on the shitstorm. But consider the statistics : "You have a one in four chance of being in some kind of auto accident within any five year period of time. You have a 30% chance of being in a serious car crash in your life. You have one chance in 98 of dying in an auto accident in your lifetime."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon