Reply to post: Re: Have not used them since finding CPC.

Maplin Electronics demands cash with menaces

Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: Have not used them since finding CPC.

CPC=Farnell=Swiss buyout (see above). Bye Bye CPC? It was nice knowing you for so long ...

Rapid Electronics were great and I've used them since the late 80s or early 90s. I still use them but, since the Conrad merger/buyout, things are not quite as good.

Maplin had a good patch in the 80s but when as soon as they stopped sending you a catalogue and opened high-street shops they were doomed. I remember walking into a store for a couple of emergency bits and picking up a catalogue. They tried to charge me for it and I asked for the catalogue free. "No Sir". I spend £20k a year on components and other kit ... and have a company account with you. "Oh I'll speak to the manager ... Just this once I suppose we can let you have one." Haven't bought from them since.

Screwfix were sold out to B&Q and opened high street shops and are now total crap (quality and price).

Is there a theme here?

What RS like now? Haven't used them for years. They used to be expensive but had nearly everything you wanted in at least two flavours, the best set of catalogues of any supplier, a great Data Library and customer support second to none. Obscure components they didn't carry came from Farnell who were nearly as good ... back then anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon