Reply to post: Vested interest

Why you should Vote Remain: Bananas, bathwater and babies

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Vested interest

I declare a vested interest. I receive no EU grants but I expect a large recession especially in enginering and development services if we leave. That will hurt me directly and indirectly.

Almost everything we develop is for a european market and there has already been a marked slow down and postponing of projects until after the referendum. If we leave this will get much worse with the inevitable uncertainty. Once we are in a recession money will be tight for everything and the people who suffer most will be those who have the least. That is probably not in the main register readers. In the long term, and it will take a long time to even know how long that is, the impact will depend on whether we join the EEA. If we do , not much impact long term, but a completely pointless move as we will be subject to exactly the same rules but have no influence over them. If we do not join the EEA then we will permenantly suffer with hampered market access and hugely reduced leverage and bargaining power everywhere.

The thing I suspect but I am not sure about is that leaving the EU will mean far more bureaucracy. I work with EU regulations all the time and they are generally reasonably small and focussed on sensible minimum requirements. The few times I have worked with UK originating regulations it has been a nightmare at least 10 times as many words to cover a similar area.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon