Reply to post: Re: @ inmypjs

Apple pollutes data about you to protect your privacy. But it might not be enough

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: @ inmypjs

Presumably it went over your head because you are a short person. Will you accept that, should I be so inclined, if I were to send an e-mail to you on your, assuming you do have one, gmail account then the contents would be subject to analysis by Google.... bit of a waste of time me setting up and running my own mail server to avoid Google then. Oh silly me, it's ever so convenient for you though and you do not mind giving up a bit of your privacy for that convenience... but stuff everyone else.

Ah, but here is the fun bit that the Information Commissioner's Office is vewwy, vewwy quiet about: at present, a European business using Gmail is technically breaking the Data Protection Act, which, by the way, includes parts of the UK government.

Why the word "technically"? Well, because it IS illegal as the sender has not given permission to export their data (and email) to a nation with less (well, no) equivalent privacy protection as the EU, a situation that was only legalised by the dirty sticking plaster called "Safe Harbor", which is no more. Ergo, until such time as the EU article 29 Working Group approves a version of Privacy Shield (which it really can't, but this is usually where politics override law), any EU business or government using Gmail breaks the law. Technically. Until someone fixes it and everyone can just go back to legally selling out their customers or citizens without their knowledge, and without their permission.

Now for some fun data:

thing:~$ dig +short mx cabinetoffice.gov.uk

30 aspmx4.googlemail.com.

30 aspmx3.googlemail.com.

10 aspmx.l.google.com.

20 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.

20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.

30 aspmx5.googlemail.com.

30 aspmx2.googlemail.com.

It's not the only government department, but as it advises No 10 I'd deem that one significant.

Here's a hint: the ICO won't act if nobody complains because doing so opens a massive can of political worms (imagine just how many UK businesses have fallen for Gmail without realising the implications, let alone across the whole of Europe). So enjoy complaining.

Oh, and, umm ..

thing:~$ dig +short mx theregister.co.uk

10 aspmx5.googlemail.com.

10 aspmx3.googlemail.com.

10 aspmx2.googlemail.com.

5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.

5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.

1 aspmx.l.google.com.

10 aspmx4.googlemail.com.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

By the way, if you really want to be evil, there's also a problem with Office365, even when you use the EU version - it STILL uses US based resources for email. If you like throwing bricks through windows, the door is wide open (pardon the mix of metaphors). EU privacy law is loads of fun if you know what you're talking about and have an evil sense of humour. I do, and I have :).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon