Reply to post: Outsourced onshoring - racism ?

UK's education system blamed for IT jobs going to non-Brits

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Outsourced onshoring - racism ?

I'm in 1930s america. I employ some people on my farm - some of them I pay $10 bux a day, the others I pay $5 a day. I use far more of the $5 a day guys. They do the same job, but you know, the 'coloreds' work for less....

So, we are now in 2016.. we wouldn't dream of such a thing nowadays!

Yet now, (UK being in 'europe' or not makes no difference), any large IT department in any UK company is mostly indian workers bums on seats - note I'm talking Indian nationals, not 'indian british'. And I'm not talking about offshore employees.

Why ? Because companies can't do the 1930s thing anymore, they have to be more cunning:

So they outsource the IT to a company for $X. It's not the companies fault if that partner decides to provide 100 indians earning 50% of what a UK national would work for and shipping them in from India...hey.. it's more than they get at home right ?

But to anyone looking at the end result it's the same - an office where people do the same job - where the UK nationals (probably white) earn twice as much as people surrounding them doing the same job.

That's doesn't seem right to me. Logically, fairly, morally. Not to the indians, not to the UK nationals.

I'm not sure what the solution is mind you, but as long as we allow companies to do this they will. In the short term it helps there bottom line, but I don't see how it helps the bigger economic picture.

But stopping visas being provided unless the company can show that the worker will be paid a competitive salary for the role in that country would be a start. That way, if the role TRULY could not be filled by a UK national, they'd have every right to fill it, and the indian would get paid correctly for it. But if they were just trying corporate shenanigans to employ an indian for 1/2 the cost of a UK national, then it would stop the practice ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon