Reply to post:

These big-name laptops are infested with security bugs – study

Dadmin

My Lenovo had that crapware, and they put hooks for it to reinstall from the firmware, so merely reinstalling your OS does nothing. Fortunately for me, I got the x220 for free and my old desktop crew zapped out that nasty firmware for me. At least that's what I think happened. The Windows partition lacks any license, so no idea if that worked as Mint is quite happy and won't be bothered by it anyway. The things people do to get their stupid ads in front of your face is quite alarming. So very glad I don't watch commercial broadcasts anymore. I have not seen a TV advert since last year, not including a recent family visit where I saw those old-timey videos that have products in them and you're supposed to pay attention to that or something. Advertising, it does nothing for me.

Now, I would put on some "free" W10, but again; no current license so can't try it out just yet. Thanks for working out all the issues, you regular Windows Guys and Gals! I'm all Mac/Linux/Unix but do dip my toe in every once in a while. Looking forward to trying out W10 on a working box, hopefully later this year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon