Reply to post: It isn't 1995 any longer...

Surface Book nightmare: Microsoft won't fix 'Sleep of Death' bug

PickledAardvark

It isn't 1995 any longer...

Addison Snell: "That may be a hefty price tag for a laptop, but I prefer to max out an initial configuration — not because I’m a power user or advanced gamer, but in hopes of prolonging my system’s lifespan and delaying the always painful process of migrating to a new system."

The concept of buying IT kit a bit more nifty than you need at the moment -- future proofing -- has been around for decades. Depending on your circumstances, the concept may deliver dreadful/fantastic results.

For those people who do compute intensive work, I've always believed in "buying twice" rather than future proofing. Buy a computer that is better than a conventional enterprise PC but half the price of a monster workstation, then use it for two years. After two years, swap it for the contemporary replacement. Over the four year cycle, you'll get more fun or MIPs.

I've never used the migration systems proffered by Apple and Microsoft on personal computers for device changes, except for experimental purposes. I understand, however, that they work well. All of my stuff can be found in fewer than ten folder structures. Having recovered crap from family and friends crisis computers, I don't regard shifting it from a functioning PC to a new device as a difficult exercise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon