Reply to post: Re: 20% of mobile searches are voice?

Google slaps Siri with Assistant and Amazon with Home device

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: 20% of mobile searches are voice?

"Where are all these voice searchers? Has anyone else heard them?"

As I may have mentioned once or twice before, I suspect these sort of stats are generated by people like Google looking out the office window and seeing what the local hipsters are doing and then extrapolating that to the rest of the world ;-)

I was in a hire car the other week and dialling the bluetooth connected phone was a nightmare. Unlike in my car where not only does the name based voice dialling work based on the way I entered the names into the phone book, but it will also show the phone book on-screen and let me scroll and select by voice. The brand new hire car doesn't let me select from the phone book, it only works by speaking the contact name. The problem is that it seems to randomly decide to change what I entered in my phone book and refuses to recognise "call John Smith", but works with "call Smith John". There seems to be no "system" whereby it decides to recognise forename/surname or surname/forename despite all my phonebook entries being in the same forename/surname format. Basically, some devs are shite at their jobs and voice recognition systems have a long, long, long way to go yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021