Reply to post:

The PC is dead. Gartner wishes you luck, vendors

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The little hand held jobs will never replace the PC. The reasons for the loss of sales is not just people buying mobs to view facebook. In the early days of computing, people often upgraded every 2 years because they needed additional computer power and features to do their jobs. I remember upgrading from an old 8086 computer to a 286 because the 286 had 4 meg of memory and a 80 meg hard drive and was much faster. I upgraded my 286 for a 486 because the 486 had windows 3.10 (a gui which made things easier to do), and a 160 meg hard drive. Right now, my computer does anything I need it to do. It has a stable operating system (Linux) and I have little need to upgrade. Likewise corporations are less likely to upgrade every two years because 1. their existing system does everything that the corporation needs to have done. With extensive investment in software,it would be very costly to upgrade to a new set of computers and operating system and their would be little to show for it. Just a few thoughts

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon