Reply to post: I think this could be a wonderful teaching aid

Chaps make working 6502 CPU by hand. Because why not?

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

I think this could be a wonderful teaching aid

I recall when I was at Uni back in the 80s, one evening at the computer club we found an old PDP-8 stood on a landing with a notice - "free, please take away". One of my friends followed that request and had it in his bedroom. It turned out that they'd wanted to get rid of it years earlier, but the prof in charge of it refused to let it go because of the teaching utility of being able to single step it and see directly from the lights what was going on.

Said prof was away on holiday when it "disappeared" from his lab.

I do recall that whenever I visited my friend, I'd end up sat manually rewinding punched tapes while we talked. I suppose it was the nerd version of the vision of a group of women sat clicking away with their knitting needles while chatting :-)

And the hard disks were truly impressive looking beasts !

From what I recall of the 6502 (it was the first thing I programmed - hand assembly and all that) it was a static chip, meaning it can run down to standstill and have the clock single cycled. With all those LEDs, that should make quite a useful tool for visualising what's going on. Personally I don't think some video on a screen can ever replace that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon