Reply to post: Re: Amazing

Adobe...sigh...issues critical patch...sigh...for Flash Player zero day

Jan Hargreaves

Re: Amazing

Some examples:

1. Can't play sounds simultaneously in some browsers with HTML5. For games and interactive stuff this is a complete non-starter.

2. Video masking in HTML5 just isn't anywhere near what you can do.

3. Recently I was asked to animate a very simple intro logo for a website. I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea how to do this outside of Flash so I used it and exported to HTML5. The swf is just 15kb, but the export to js is 250kb. The technology/ or exporter is primative. It has a long way to go.

4. Syncing content - like sounds at particular points - this needs to be set on an event rather than a timer. I've had to use a timer on a recent project that doesn't always go at the right time. There may be a way to do this in jQuery - so forgive me if I just don't have the required knowledge on this one.

5. Just the overall compression Flash provided. On one particular forum I visit regularly, a lot of people have gif signatures and on some pages the browser will just freeze constantly. With flash you can have so much mixed-media content yet it's compressed and handled well by the browser. In HTML5 it really struggles at times. You shouldn't require your users to have 16GB, 16 core machines.

That said... Flash is on it's way out and I've known that for years. The smartphone basically killed it. Thanks Steve...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon