Reply to post: Don't worry, the upgrade will probably fail

'I thought my daughter clicked on ransomware – it was the damn Windows 10 installer'

Len Goddard

Don't worry, the upgrade will probably fail

I had suppressed the upgrade for some time but having built myself a powerful new PC for gaming and moved all my productive stuff onto an intel NUC running Mint Linux I decided to upgrade the old machine before giving it away. After several failed attempts I installed Win10 off the installation media I had purchased for the new PC. The PC had had a fairly heavily customised Win 7 setup so from curiousity I tried to upgrade my laptop (before converting it to linux). Nope, that failed as well and the win 7 on it was more or less bog standard. The score among my friends (of varying computer literacy) is about 60-40 against.

And the result? Win 10 seems to work ok (if I could just get to the bottom of the phantom ctrl- button) but the appearance and UI are horrible. After much effort I finally managed to customise it into something I can live with but it involved significant registry hacking. Fortunately I did manage to delete the software store before M$ made that difficult on a Pro system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon