Reply to post:

'Bitcoin creator' Craig Yeah Wright in meltdown

dan1980

I just don't get it.

So you're 'Satoshi'*. You develop this Bitcoin technology which, as part of its design, is geared towards secrecy, privacy and anonymity. It is based on open cryptography so you can't show source code but you can prove you own the keys for the earliest blocks in the chain. For anyone in cryptography - as Wright is and 'Satoshi' must be - the solution is elementary: sign a message with those keys.

This is one of the very few ways to prove it and, as someone with a more than passing familiarity with cryptography, Wright should know this. After all - this is one of the fundamental parts of cryptography: you sign things with keys you own. If you can't do that then, in the crypto-world, you could be anyone.

Wright may indeed be Satoshi (though smart money is against it) but if he is then the only half-way logical conclusion I can draw is that he is try to quell rumors by this bizarre process. Not that that makes a great deal of sense either but it's the only way I can reconcile his failure to offer the simple proofs needed with an assertion that he actually is who he says he is.

As so often, however, the simplest answer is the best: he's not Satoshi.

* - Assuming, for the sake of simplicity, that 'Satoshi' is actually a single person, rather than a group.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon