Reply to post: Ubuntu Unity / Gnome is a dumbed-down disaster.

A perfect marriage: YOU and Ubuntu 16.04

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Ubuntu Unity / Gnome is a dumbed-down disaster.

My neighbour wanted to try 'that Linux' so he d/loaded Ubuntu and booted it, he's a long time Windows user, and i guess he wanted a change, after reading all the negative comments about security and privacy in Windows - (with some prompting from me)

I asked how he was getting on with it last week, and he said he hated it and couldn't do anything much with it.. so i asked for more info, apparently he got the Ubuntu 16.04 and said there were only a couple of pointless apps installed on the (side) menu, as he wasn't interested in using Amazon or office bloatware and clicking around for some kind of menu produced few results, and right-clicking only provided a minimal menu with still no way to browse the already installed software.. i told him to d/load Kubuntu instead if he must, i just steered him away from Ubuntu, now he seems much happier.

I could'nt believe it was *that* bad, so i downloaded it too, The Ubuntu website is decidedly light on info, looking very corporate and pointless, as i sit and write this (not in a suit) i see the front page (sic) is taken up by a brag about how big blue loves Ubuntu, then some suit-type links below to a Samsung dev conference, another damn phone thing, something about 'flying base stations', a link to News from 'insights' (I've no idea) and a pointless link to a 'review' which wasn't really a review at all, and the generic words might just as well be describing some bland marketing speak about comfy shoes or something. vapid and dreadful, and still bloody brown FFS. It even took me some clicking around the website to find what desktop it *actually ships* with, so all that was quite telling of what kind of audience Ubuntu is aimed at, (potential investors and suits) and thus set the scene for the rest of the UI train wreck i saw.

Neighbour was right, all of the above more or less, some years back wasn't Ubuntu waxing lyrical about how it was for beginners and ease of access blah blah ?

Unintuitive i thought, as neither could find any interface for browsing installed software, maybe it was there somewhere, but i missed it, i resorted to right-clicking for an xterm to start stuff after i found what was installed in software centre. what a kludge, maybe it's me, not impressed, so i thought i'd check the system settings.. another mistake, as there was bugger-all to configure, like a damn Fischer-Price OS .. god awful.

Who is this OS actually for ? Schools, uber-devs ? or Pottering ? or people who ONLY want to use Firefox and Office ? I gave up and killed the VM and went back to a real OS there i could do things.

dreadful website, dreadful desktop. At least i understand why everything is brown..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon