Reply to post: Re: Effects of inhaling propylene glycol.

E-cigarettes help save lives, says Royal College of Physicians

Palpy

Re: Effects of inhaling propylene glycol.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I love eating capsaicin (in proper dilutions, ie, hot sauce) but my lungs clench up if I breathe vapors whilst dicing hot peppers.

That said, a quick Goggle on the Online reveals that at least some studies show inhaling PG to be harmless.

Journal of Pharmacology abstract

Here's the public health statement from the ATSDR:

Linky

Oddly enough, a very dated study suggests that PG may be a germicidal and inhaling the vapors may be protective against some infections. Use that information with proper mental protection in place, please.

"Propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the electronic cigarette cartridge, may be a powerful deterrent against pneumonia, influenza, and other respiratory diseases when vaporized and inhaled according to a study by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson. Decades before the e cigarette was invented, a study was conducted by Dr. Robertson of the University of Chicago's Billings Hospital in 1942 on inhalation of vaporized propylene glycol in laboratory mice.... [Time magazine stated,] 'Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died.'"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon