Reply to post: Re: confused - - - -

Ad-blocker blocking websites face legal peril at hands of privacy bods

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: confused - - - -

>That's not what I said. I said the Javascript is only being executed from your computer because it's a necessary technical requirement, behaviour which is expressly permitted. If the page is set to no-cache, and is small enough, there's a reasonable chance it will never be stored locally apart from in RAM. And besides, the directive is talking about retrieving information from the user's equipment, which this behaviour is clearly not doing

You're about the 10th person to point this out - I've written several such scripts. [I mostly work on sites which target educators who often access via the educational ISP/LEA networks which have blocked AdSense etc at proxy level for years now].

Scripts are used to swap out content when ads are not displayed - they are not detecting casuality - which might be ad blocker, proxy, AdSense timeout or lack of an available ad [a common side effect of a busy non-blocking proxy use across a network with many seats and similar soft-edges]

Sometimes alternate content is internal linkage to fill the whitespace, other times locally served ads to events, products, sometimes third-party link shares or referrals. There's no tracking or 'server callback' involved, scripts are necessarily both dynamically generated and explicitly uncached - either by browser or proxy.

This use case is covered by the legislation - you have not referred to it in your letter and have asked instead about data storage and implied privacy issues which do not generally exist.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon