Reply to post: naive question - what should I expect from systemd wrt other process supervisors?

A perfect marriage: YOU and Ubuntu 16.04

JLV

naive question - what should I expect from systemd wrt other process supervisors?

I am currently using VMs built on LTS 14.04, built via Chef.

One of harder things was setting up process supervisors. Typically each and every Chef cookbook for <install something> wants to schedule a service with <tool of choice>. So, depending on who wrote a Chef cookbook, nginx may want to run on bluepill, redis-server prefers runit, django thinks Supervisor is awesome, etc etc...

I eventually got most of them running on runit (an offshoot of daemontools) and Monit (which provides nice monitoring, but which I configured to call on runit to start/stop processes because I wasn't keen on figuring out System V init scripts).

I know there is a lot of pushback re systemd here. Does anyone know if systemd on LTS 16.04 will tend to mess up process supervisors like these, on the assumption that it should be doing their work? Proof will be in the pudding - run a build on top LTS 16.04 - but I am curious if anyone has seen this kind of impact. I honestly don't want to hook up any of my stuff to systemd, though I could care less if Ubuntu at large does it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon