Reply to post: Re: I'd love to upgrade

A perfect marriage: YOU and Ubuntu 16.04

fidodogbreath

Re: I'd love to upgrade

Problems like that are a real impediment for users who are interested in Linux, but don't want to make it their life's mission.

I'm an advanced Windows user, and pretty good with Macs. I've been exploring Linux as an alternative to those, and there's much to like. Ultimately, though, the OS is a tool to run applications with which I do work. I'm willing to expend a certain amount of effort on the OS if I see a clear benefit to doing so, but there are limits.

For example, it took me two hours to get Linux Mint XFCE to print to a LaserJet over WiFi -- mostly because HP had stopped hosting a required file. I had to find and compile the driver source, install it, and then configure cups manually. It worked, but I can't really call it two hours well spent. If I'd been on a deadline, it would've been disastrous.

More importantly, though, the process was far beyond the capability of an average user. Installing the same printer on a Windows box took maybe 3 minutes. Other "simple" tasks have become lengthy trips down the Linux rabbit hole as well, due to things like outdated repositories and lack of vendor support. I like Linux, but as a non-enthusiast I often feel like I'm pushing a rope.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon