Reply to post: Re: Why LTS?

A perfect marriage: YOU and Ubuntu 16.04

thames

Re: Why LTS?

@Colin Critch - "Yes sometimes it is best to wait. Depends on what procument and software bashing you are planned to do in the next few months."

14.04 users aren't going to even be offered the upgrade until 16.04.1 comes out in a few months. You can force the upgrade right now if you really want to, but the official path is to wait a few months for the official LTS to LTS upgrade version. This is covered in the release notes.

"14.04 LTS to LTS upgrades will be enabled with the 16.04.1 LTS point release, in approximately 3 months time."

It's not clear though if this applies to just the desktop version, or the server version as well. With a server I would wait a bit anyway unless I needed the latest for testing purposes, since the first few weeks after a new release usually results in a lot of bug fixes going out in response to reported problems. I suspect this is at least part of the reason why they are recommending that LTS users wait until the point release comes out.

The release notes also list the changes. For desktop users:

"The general theme for 16.04 on the desktop is one of bug fixes and incremental quality improvements. "

I intend to wait for the official LTS to LTS upgrade path to be made available in a few months.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon