Reply to post: Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu Software Center

A perfect marriage: YOU and Ubuntu 16.04

thames

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu Software Center

The problem with Gnome Software (GS) is that it only handles some packages. You still need to install either Ubuntu Software Centre (USC) or Synaptic for the rest (basically, anything not a Gnome GUI package, or in other words, the vast majority). If there is some way of doing this from GS, it isn't obvious to me and I couldn't find it.

The Gnome Software thingy is basically a stripped down copy of USC. They made it "simpler" by simply leaving out advanced features. I can see the reason why Ubuntu is switching to it however. It unifies the user reviews into one source of information instead of splitting them between Ubuntu and non-Ubuntu Gnome distros. The reviews were a great feature in USC, as it let you see at a glance which package you ought to try first when presented with multiple alternatives for the same task.

However, I think the issue of handling non-GUI packages in GS needs to be dealt with. The Gnome Software application is still a few years behind USC in terms of capability.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon