Reply to post: Re: Actually, no

Ten years in the clink, file-sharing monsters! (If UK govt gets its way)

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Actually, no

And don't make the mistake of saying you can't because this is a new law because this is a rationalization existing law to remove discrepancies between the same act taking place online and offline. Multi-year sentences have been possible for piracy under UK law for a long time.

Isn't the entire point of the proposal that the most you could do online copyright infringers for was 4.5 years by using fraud laws? And you're asking me to cite examples of a law that hasn't even been written yet? Come on.

If someone hands me a cracked copy of photoshop on a pressed DVD or if they send me the file via Dropbox, the fraction of a penny difference in plastic is not the concern. ...knowingly trying to dodge the important elements here.

I would suggest that physical piracy is far more likely to involve a commercial element. For a start you're going to want to recover the cost of the blank media and if you're doing that, it's easy to add a couple of quid for time...plus cash exists and you have to physically meet to exchange media anyway, so no extra arrangements need be made and no extra risk needs be taken. Now online infringement can be monetised; but you need to add a mechanism to do that and that is always going to add significant risk.

Well, I'll resist the urge to suggest you don't participate in massive distributed attempts to defraud people of the product of their labour

Well, I'm in Spain; where there is a tax on blank media and the rights groups get a payout. Downloading films and music for personal use is perfectly legal here for that reason (currently), so you may want to dismount from that high horse a little.

Generally when laws cite specific technological methods, it's a BAD thing. Such laws rapidly become out of date. You are now effectively arguing it's a weakness in the proposal that it [I]doesn't[/I] do this.

When it's hands-down the most popular method of downloading large lumps of data and when that method intrinsically means that you are technically making that data available to large numbers of people, then fuck yeah, it's a weakness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon